Jan 15th, 2015
Want in? Here’s how the program works:
1. Sign up to participate in the 21 Day No Sugar Challenge here.
2. Prep your home by eliminating any foods that might cause you to deviate from your three week plan. Stock your cabinets and refrigerator with plenty of healthy snacks and foods. Be sure to read labels to look for those sneaky terms disguising SUGAR.
3. Mentally prepare. Have a plan (Prepare your meals beforehand, have only healthy snacks around, use a meal service at the gym, etc..). Have a backup plan. . Can’t stress enough how important it is to have a plan to successfully complete the 21 days.
4. Stop by the front desk on Friday, January 16th or Tues night (20th) or Wed night (21st) to weigh-in and get your pre challenge pic. Use this opportunity to drop off your $15 donation towards the Charlie for ALL Foundation.
Charlee is a beautiful three year old little girl who is courageously battling Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia with her amazingly strong parents by her side. Please join us in supporting the Casale family on this journey, by participating in this challenge. All monies collected will go towards Charlee’s treatments which call for at least a 32 day inpatient course of chemotherapy followed by 2 years of outpatient chemotherapy. It is truly every parent’s nightmare. When word of Charlee’s diagnosis got out, the Casale’s friends and family were determined to help in any way they could, thus the Charlee for ALL Foundation was started.
Our mission is to help alleviate the financial burdens that invariably arise from this type of situation. We will help to make sure the Casale family can focus solely on getting Charlee well. If you would like to donate in addition to the challenge buy-in please click here.
Basically the premise of this challenge is to learn to eat wholesome foods from the earth. Strip your diet of processed crap and sneaky forms of sugar and substitute it with a healthy alternative. Not sure where to begin? Here is a list of foods to include in your diet: Grass fed hormone free beef and chicken, eggs, wild fish, fresh seafood, local and organic fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, healthy fats from olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, etc.
List of foods to avoid: sugar, anything including high fructose corn syrup, agave syrup, maple syrup, honey, any sort of bread, fruit juices, dried fruits, raw organic cane juice/sugar, coconut sugar, etc,
Pretty much, if you think it’s questionable, it probably is. The only natural form of sugar that we are allowing on this 21 day cleanse is fresh fruit- and only in limited amounts. Remember that fruit does contain natural sugar so we want to limit our consumption. No more than one piece of fruit per day outside of workout times. An additional, immediate post work out fruit is allowed.
The challenge will officially start on Monday, January 18th.Remember we are doing this together as a group so the goal is to get through the 21 days consecutively without having to start over. Stop thinking about it and just commit. Push yourself to do something outside of your normal habits and routine. Rid your body of those unhealthy sugar cravings!
What to say NO to:
• Sweeteners… honey, agave nectar, maple syrup, coconut sugar
• Alcohol (permitting 2 drinks per week- only Red wine or Tequila!)
• Dairy… cream in the coffee, cheeses, yogurt
• Corn and corn products
• Unnaturally processed condiments, dressings, sauces, marinades, or spices (read the labels)
• White Potato, Rice, Quinoa
• Legumes (Peanuts, Beans, Soy, Chick Peas)
• any form of artificial sweetener: Sweet & Low, Splenda, Equal, Truvia, Stevia, Sugar in the Raw, etc
• Canola, vegetable, soybean, grapeseed oils
• All protein bars as meals. Rx Bars, Kind Bars, The Best Bar Ever, Quest Bars, Lara Bars, etc.
• All sport supplements that are not directly before, during, or after training.
Frequently Asked Questions?????
Is alcohol permitted?
• Yes, we are allowing a MAX of 2 drinks per week. Red wine and tequila ONLY!
What about my post WOD nutrition?
• We are allowing Whey protein immediately following workouts (within 45 minutes). You can also add a piece of fruit to your post workout shake if you’d like. No fake protein drinks like Muscle Milk and absolutely NO protein bars. We want you to eat REAL food.
I love coconut water! Can I have it?
• You can have 1 coconut water with your post workout shake in substitute for a piece of fruit. However, please refrain from sipping on it during other times throughout the day!
What should I do for snacks since I cannot have Lara or other types of protein bars?
• Think real food- make a paleo friendly egg or chicken salad. A few other easy options: hardboiled eggs, handful of nuts (make sure they aren’t cooked in some sort of funky oil), celery sticks stuffed with nutbutter (check label for NO sugar). Preparation is key here! Take the time to look up some recipes.
What if I add cream and sugar to my coffee?
• Don’t for 21 days. 🙂 Start drinking herbal teas or try that coffee black- you might surprise yourself!
What about sweet potatoes?
• Despite “sweet” in the name, sweet potatoes are perfectly fine. Try not to overdo it though. It’s generally better to eat them pre or post workout. Absolutely NO sweet potato french fries… unless you bake them at home yourself.
We would love to have you participate! Don’t hesitate. Sign up today!