On Monday July 13th, indoor gyms can open in the city of Boston. This comes with many rules and guidelines to ensure a safe environment among the COVID-19 virus. Many of you have expressed your hesitation to come indoors and some of you simply like the outdoor class and want to keep them going. We hear you and have been sorting out a solution that we hope will effectively satisfy all.
Here’s what you need to know:
- With the exception of rain and extreme heat, all classes will begin outdoors in the parking lot.
- You will have the freedom to complete the workout indoors or outdoors. As long as you have registered for class and there is space, we will make every effort to be flexible and meet your needs.
- Rig and rack days will be strategically programmed for days that inclement weather is anticipated. On rig and rack days, there will be 17 indoor stations in Southie Green, and outdoor stations with a modified equipment workout.
- Southie Green will be exclusively for classes (no Open Gym). In order to keep distance, stations will extend into the Toaster (the space near the front desk).
- Southie Orange will be used for Open Gym. There will be 4 spots with access to a pull up rig, and 7 additional spots without a pull up rig. If Open Gym is not full, we may use these spots for class participants as well.
- You will NOT be required to wear a mask while doing the workout in your station, as they are spaced 14 feet apart.
- You WILL be required to wear a mask any time you are outside of your station.
- Current state guidelines recommend that there be no more than 8 people per 1,000 square feet in gyms. Southie Green is nearly 10,000 square feet. Even during completely full classes, we will be limiting attendance to 23 athletes + 2 coaches. In an effort to keep everyone safe, we will be operating at just 30% of our current allowed capacity.
- Just like outside, each station will be equipped with disinfectant.
- Foot traffic will be controlled with arrows on the floor – just like at the super market!
- Indoor stations are set up to be a minimum of 14 feet apart.
- Staff will perform a thorough cleaning of any high-contact surfaces throughout the day and at the end of the night.
- Masks will be required any time you are not in your workout station – when entering the station, when using the restroom, getting equipment, etc.
You will notice that the registration schedule will look different beginning on Monday. A few things to note about class registration:
- If you have no intention of working out inside, please register for “Outdoor WOD.” This will save room in the “Indoor/Outdoor WOD” class for people who DO want to workout indoors. On most days you will be able to complete the workout exactly as it is written outside.
- If you wish to workout outside and “Outdoor WOD” is full, you can register for “Indoor/Outdoor WOD” and stay outside for the duration of the class.
- Open Gym slots are labeled as “Indoor Open Gym with Rig Access”, “Indoor Open Gym without Rig Access”, and “Outdoor Open Gym”. If you do not intend to use a Pull Up Rig during your workout that day, please register for one of the other available spots.
- Given the distance requirements, pull up space is tough to come by. Three stations do not allow for kipping and 1 station includes the fat bar which means a few volunteers will be needed in larger classes to perform strict pull-ups, ring rows or to test their grip strength.
- The outdoor mats will be numbered to correlate with the indoor stations. Please be considerate. We know everyone is excited to get back on the rig but this isn’t the hunger games. We will have people stand on their mats before entering the building to ensure that once inside there is not confusion about who goes to what station.
- Lastly, the brick building in our lot is being torn down soon. When this happens half of the outdoor lot will be temporarily off limits. We will re-strategize at that time.
We hope that you are excited for the next coming weeks! We know we are!
Registering for Classes
Registration can be done via the ZenPlanner app (iOs & Android available). Classes are available to register for beginning 48 hours in advance.
- If you hold a current CrossFit Southie membership, please download the ZenPlanner app and log in using the email address we have on file for you. If you have any trouble accessing your account, resetting your password or if your membership looks off, please email [email protected] and we will help you troubleshoot.
- If you are have previous CrossFit experience and would like to drop-in or sign up for a membership, please sign up here. Then, follow the prompts to set up a ZenPlanner account to reserve classes.
- If you are brand new to CrossFit, please email [email protected] We are not offering our traditional introductory session, but we will find a time for you to try it out!
Open gym hours are available for sign up via the ZenPlanner app. Please note that Open Gym sessions DO count toward your weekly class allowance.
We are using the parking lot in front of our building to provide the workout experience you know and love… all while keeping a safe distance. The health and safety of our members is our top priority, so we are following all state guidelines closely. Stations are set up to allow for necessary social distancing, no equipment will be shared, and we are following a strict cleaning protocol. Please read below for more details and information on how to join a class!
-The parking lot is closed to vehicles for safety. Street parking is available.
-Please adhere to social distancing guidelines when arriving at the gym. If the previous class is finishing up, please make your way to an unoccupied mat or find a safe place to stand off to the side until class is finished.
-Face coverings are required when not at your station.
-Access to the building is limited for restrooms and water bottle refills. Please bring a filled water bottle; drinking directly from the fountain is off limits.
-We are no longer sharing chalk or tape. Individual rolls and blocks are available for purchase.
-The outdoor mats can get HOT in the sun. We recommend bringing your own yoga mat or towel (especially on days with push ups or burpees!) to put down over the hot mat.