Jan 8th, 2016
Matty W making Patty P Proud
What to expect for the 2016 CrossFit Games Season
The 2016 CrossFit Open is quickly approaching. The good news is, the programming you have been doing over the last year has progressed you to a higher level of conditioning, greater proficiency in gymnastic movements, and helped build strength, speed, and technique with Olympic lifts. We will continue to train in a similar fashion. Expect a lot of lighter metcons and high rep gymnastics as we approach the Open season. Also expect to perform high skill movements at the end of WODs in a state of fatigue, and to ascend in weight in workouts which will test efficiency under load in a metcon. Also, now is the time to start dialing in on your nutrition game.
Trying out for the team?
Similar to last year, the Regional is much more competitive as we have been combined with the Canada West Regional. Last year we ended up doing well at Regionals finishing 8th overall but we had to fight in the Opens to even make it there and this year will be no different. Anyone can be on this Regional team or contribute to this team during the Open stage. Don’t count yourself out just because you think others are better or because you are inexperienced. Our regional team has changed every year and each year there have been a wide range of athletes that helped us get to Regionals, not just the athletes that ended up being on the field. We are all in this together! If you are interested in potentially being out on the Regional field, we will be having a formal meeting Saturday the 16th at 7:15am. If for some reason you can not make it but would like to be considered for the team email [email protected]
Also similar to last year we will not be choosing the team before the Open and your performance in the Open won’t necessarily determine whether you have earned your place on the team, but will have weight in the decision. A few weeks after the completion of the open, the top 4 men and the top 4 women will be placed on the games roster. After the workouts are released we will test them and the final team will be chosen based on who is the most qualified. Those who want to compete as individuals do not need to establish that ahead of time, nor will it penalize them from making the team if they do not make it as an individual.
What are the requirements to be on the team?
• In order to be considered for the team we do require that the GritWOD programming is followed within reason starting January 16th. We need to assess weaknesses and we can’t do that if you are following a different program or avoiding certain movements, time domains, etc…
o Subbing exercises to work on weaknesses is always encouraged as long as they are deemed weaknesses by the coaching staff. We will be providing some individualized goat work for team hopefuls.
o Communication is all that we ask for. If we don’t know what you are doing we do not feel like we have the freedom to help and coach you.
o Supplemental programming in addition to the GritWOD programming is encouraged as long as it is not leaving you sore and exhausted. Supplemental programming should be focused on weaknesses, not strengths.
o Teams work best together who have a lot of experience training with one another. If you never train together it’s harder to communicate on the field.
o It doesn’t matter what program you are doing. You are always going to improve more when workout out with other people rather than training alone.
o Posting scores on the board helps remind you of what you need to work on. Be honest with your scores, if you have trouble counting grab a whiteboard. Hold yourself to high standards in WODs. It shouldn’t take the first Open WOD to expose what you need to be working on.
• We’re looking for athletes that are team players and think about the team as a whole and not solely about individual performance.
• In addition, we require Athletes that display great sportsmanship in order to represent CrossFit Southie in a positive way.
• Athletes must be coach-able and open to feedback and scaling in order to elicit better results.
• Body maintenance- Consciously trying to keep your body healthy and seeking outside help when needed. If you are injured then you become a liability. You need to know when to stop and not push through pain that is only going to get worse. You would never be penalized for taking time off for reasons of rest and healing. It will come into question however if you are doing extra work and seem to be missing the days your weaknesses come up.
• Weaknesses are not to the point that they become a liability.
• Take advantage of Olympic sessions with Dan when we offer them if your Oly needs specific work.
• Athletes need to make an effort to attend Saturdays at 7am weekly. Goose and Tully are consistently there at that time. Who wouldn’t want to train next to those studs? We will also talk about adding a mid day goat WOD session on Saturdays for those that are interested.
• Athletes must train at the gym 60% of the time starting January 1st.
• Must love babies.
These are all basic guidelines and exceptions may be made in the best interest of the team under certain circumstances. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to come to us directly. Goose and Ames are more than happy to answer any questions you may have about the process.
The Games Season should be fun! I know it can be difficult not to feel like a lot of pressure, we are all competitive and want to do well, but let’s focus on operating as a unit and encourage and support one another. The experience is all what you make of it, and if you give it your all you will only get better.
5-10 minutes of shoulder opening. Complete some push-ups between rolling and stretching exercising to warm-up pushing muscles
Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 17 minutes of:
75/45 pound Snatch
30 reps 30 Burpees
135/75 pound Snatch
165/100 pound Snatch,30 reps
210/125 pound Snatch as many reps as possible
Level 2- 95,65
Level 1- 75,35
Gymnastics/Conditioning – class can perform this either before or after the WOD depending on the groups choice.
Odd- 15/12 Calorie Row
Even- 5 Strict Handstand Pushups. Add defecit for a challenge
*Take 10 minutes to warm-up your snatch properly. Try some reps at the highest weight you intend on trying