Jan 26th, 2015
Classes will run as scheduled tonight. We are going to close down the box completely tomorrow. We may cancel classes for Wednesday am and midday classes depending on the development on the storm. Stay tuned to the blog for updates.
Reminder: Moskillity class will take place tonight from 7:00 – 7:45pm. Our focus will be on pulling movements from the floor and the flexibility to achieve better position. If the set up of your deadlift, snatch or clean gives you trouble then come in to work on the specific areas of mobility that will help you move more efficiently with less chance of injury. Learn a new skill and apply it moving forward!
February Bootcamp Referral Bonus!
Do you have friends who are interested in CrossFit, but just too intimidated to take the plunge? Or perhaps you know someone who is looking to lose some extra weight or change up their fitness routine? CrossFit Southie Bootcamp is the perfect fit! CrossFit Southie Bootcamp is more challenging than traditional bootcamp classes; in addition to conditioning, there is kettlebell training, dumbbell work, and bodyweight movements. There will be no barbell movements or high skill gymnastics.
We will be running a referral bonus for the February bootcamp session. Refer a friend to CFS Bootcamp and receive $50 off of your next monthly membership payment! Just have them mention your name at registration during their first session. Tell your friends and start saving!
February Bootcamp will run from February 2 – 27th. For full details on the bootcamp and to sign up, click HERE.
For those participating, this is Day 1 of the No Sugar /Paleo Challenge! We are excited for changes that you are about to experience. If you did not sign up and still would like to participate, today is your very last opportunity so please stop by the front desk. For those of you that have signed up and have not yet gotten your measurements and picture taken please do so ASAP. Remember to drop off your $15 donation that will be contributed towards Charlee for All.
What to eat over the next 21 days:
Grass fed hormone free beef and chicken, eggs, wild fish, fresh seafood, local and organic fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, healthy fats from olive oil, avocado, coconut oil, etc.
List of foods to avoid:
Sugar, anything including high fructose corn syrup, agave syrup, maple syrup, honey, any sort of bread, fruit juices, dried fruits, raw organic cane juice/sugar, coconut sugar, etc,
Pretty much, if you think it’s questionable, it probably is. The only natural form of sugar that we are allowing on this 21 day cleanse is fresh fruit- and only in limited amounts. Remember that fruit does contain natural sugar so we want to limit our consumption. No more than one piece of fruit per day outside of workout times. An additional, immediate post work out fruit is allowed.
What to say NO to:
• Sweeteners… honey, agave nectar, maple syrup, coconut sugar
• Alcohol (permitting 2 drinks per week- only Red wine or Tequila!)
• Dairy… cream in the coffee, cheeses, yogurt
• Corn and corn products
• Unnaturally processed condiments, dressings, sauces, marinades, or spices (read the labels)
• White Potato, Rice, Quinoa
• Legumes (Peanuts, Beans, Soy, Chick Peas)
• any form of artificial sweetener: Sweet & Low, Splenda, Equal, Truvia, Stevia, Sugar in the Raw, etc
• Canola, vegetable, soybean, grapeseed oils
• All protein bars as meals. Rx Bars, Kind Bars, The Best Bar Ever, Quest Bars, Lara Bars, etc.
• All sport supplements that are not directly before, during, or after training.
How do we track?
We are making this challenge as simple as YES and NO. We created a Google doc with a list of those participating- check out Week 1 HERE. All you need to do is open it and find your name then enter YES or NO under the current day of the week. Enter Yes under Monday if you got through the entire day without cheating or No if you slipped up. Remember the goal is to get through all 21 days without having a cheat but if you accidentally do- just start tomorrow with a clean slate. No need to restart the challenge back at day 1. We have about 20+ people participating so hopefully we will be able to encourage eachother!
Frequently Asked Questions?????
Is alcohol permitted?
• Yes, we are allowing a MAX of 2 drinks per week. Red wine and tequila ONLY!
What about my post WOD nutrition?
• We are allowing Whey protein immediately following workouts (within 45 minutes). You can also add a piece of fruit to your post workout shake if you’d like. No fake protein drinks like Muscle Milk and absolutely NO protein bars. We want you to eat REAL food.
I love coconut water! Can I have it?
• You can have 1 coconut water with your post workout shake in substitute for a piece of fruit. However, please refrain from sipping on it during other times throughout the day!
What should I do for snacks since I cannot have Lara or other types of protein bars?
• Think real food- make a paleo friendly egg or chicken salad. A few other easy options: hardboiled eggs, handful of nuts (make sure they aren’t cooked in some sort of funky oil), celery sticks stuffed with nutbutter (check label for NO sugar). Preparation is key here! Take the time to look up some recipes.
What if I add cream and sugar to my coffee?
• Don’t for 21 days. Start drinking herbal teas or try that coffee black- you might surprise yourself!
What about sweet potatoes?
• Despite “sweet” in the name, sweet potatoes are perfectly fine. Try not to overdo it though. It’s generally better to eat them pre or post workout. Absolutely NO sweet potato french fries… unless you bake them at home yourself.
What happens if I eat sugar or another form of it?
• You can’ undo what’s been done so buckle down and do better tomorrow!
If you have any questions or hesitation- it’s probably not ok – so just avoid it. Happy eating!
Hollow Rock Challenge
30 Hollow Rocks
Power Clean (115,80)
Level 2 (95,55)
Level 1 (75,35)
Pulling from the Floor ( Deadlift, Snatch Set up, Clean + Jerk Set up )
Lower body Flexibility